Singer Michael Jackson had lethal levels of the drug propofol in his blood when he died, according to court documents.
A search warrant filed in court showed toxicology reports found propofol in Michael Jackson's body.
Los Angeles' coroner Dr. Lakshmanan Sathyavagiswaran reached that preliminary conclusion after reviewing toxicology results carried out on Jackson's blood, according to an affidavit.
The drug Diprivan, known by its generic name propofol, is administered intravenously in operating rooms as a general anesthetic, the manufacturer AstraZeneca told CNN.
A source close to the investigation told CNN that Dr. Conrad Murray is believed to have administered the drug to Jackson within 24 hours of his death on June 25.
Investigators have searched Murray's home and clinics for evidence related to the anesthetic propofol, according to documents filed in court.
The drug works as a depressant on the central nervous system.
"It works on your brain," said Dr. Zeev Kain, the chair of the anesthesiology department at the University of California --Irvine. "It basically puts the entire brain to sleep."